Saturday, February 5, 2011

Happy Birthday Papa!

For Jean-Louis' birthday on Friday, we celebrated with a special home cooked meal and invited a friend over to join us. That is as much celebrating we'll ever do for our birthday party.

Despite being all sick with a cold, it was enjoyable. Good company makes it enjoyable too :) I cooked one of Jean-Louis' favorite dishes. It's something I don't particularly like but I know he does and he has always wanted me to cook it but I was never interested. That made it the perfect surprise :) The dish was chicken pie! I used my silicone pie shell for it and it was actually a good fit. I didn't think I was going to get much filling into it but it was plenty. The pie turned out as good as chicken pie gets. I wouldn't want to eat it all the time but it was quite good. Jean-Louis liked it, our friend raved about it and Tristan picked at it. Tristan was under the weather too so he was not too interested in eating anything anyway. The pie was served with a French style spinach salad and that went very well with it. The best compliment of the night came when our friend said that "it might actually be the best pie he has ever eaten" :) Don't you just love it when people appreciate food that you make and give you great compliments? I love that our friend is so easy to please too:)

For dessert, I made sugar cookies. They weren't just any sugar cookies though, they were Star Wars themed! That alone would make a great gift for Jean-Louis since he is a big Star Wars fan :) Decorating the cookies were alright although there is a lot of room for improvement. For those who plan to decorate Star Wars sugar cookies, use the #1 tip for piping on the icing. You'll need several of those. The cookie cutters are actually quite small, which makes decorating more difficult. With all the cooking I had to do Friday, I actually ran out of time and didn't fully decorate Boba Fett. Darth Vader, Yoda, and Stormtrooper were all complete. Frankly, after doing pretty Christmas cookies, I found these Star Wars cookies kind of boring. I love colors and there was definitely a lack of them here. I do love Star Wars though and was happy the cookies turned out decent :)

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails